I’m so thankful and excited that you have chosen to ride in this year’s Lake2Lake. Many of you have chosen to raise funds for Wellspring as part of your ride and I wanted to encourage you in your fundraising efforts.
First—Some Fundraising Tips
Here’s a summary of the 7 habits of an effective personal fundraiser from an eBook titled, 7 Habits of Effective Personal Fundraisers:
- Personalize your fundraising: The most effective online fundraising campaign is a personal one. The most effective fundraisers use their personalities to promote their campaign as well as personal stories. Your relationships with your friends, family and coworkers are compelling enough reasons for your network to give to your cause.
- Use multiple ways to raise awareness: Reach out to your personal network of friends, family, and co-workers. A personalized email is the best way to get donations. Social media is helpful to reach new audiences, too.
- Keep up the human connections: Helping other people connect with the cause and need by focusing on being human. Meet people face-to-face to help them understand your passion for and commitment to the cause.
- Emphasize how everyone can make a difference: Show that even small contributions will amount to big, tangible results. Let donors know exactly where their money is going and how much of a difference it makes.
- Your cause is worth the effort: Getting donations for a cause isn’t easy. You’ll have to persevere through some dry spells and be assured that your efforts matter (because they really do!).
- Remind others to contribute: Update and share progress with friends and family. This is an opportunity to remind others of your fundraising progress and how they can help.
- Be appreciative: Always thank your donors and supporters! They want to be recognized and your appreciation goes a long way.
If you like, you can download the free (they would like your email address) eBook from here: http://ebook.causevox.com/7habits/
Second—Your Personal Pledge Page
You have a personal pledge page on the CCN website where you are able to share about your motivation for riding and fundraising, and upload a photo of yourself or your reason for riding. I would encourage you to get your personal pledge page setup by September 1st if you haven’t done so already.
Setting up your personal pledge page.
After completing your registration for the Lake2Lake you received a confirmation email from CCN with a link to create your personal fundraising page.
- Find that email and click the link, or
- Log in to the CCN website. After logging in you will be able to create your personal fundraising page. (If you’ve forgotten your username or password, click the I forgot my Password link)
After you have your page ready, spread the word by sharing the link to your pledge page with friends and family via email, facebook, twitter, or other social media websites. Need some inspiration? Here’s a sample email you could use to let people know you’re riding the Lake2Lake and fundraising for Wellspring:
Dear [first name],
This September, I’m going to be undertaking the daunting task of riding 220 kilometres on a bike through the Okanagan /Shuswap—all for a great cause.
I’ll be taking part in the Lake2Lake Ride for Rwanda to support Wellspring (www.thewellspringfoundation.org) and through them the provision of quality education for thousands of young children in Rwanda. Thanks to Wellspring, more than 70,000 children are currently seeing their school communities transformed and being given opportunities that would previously have been denied them. There are big plans for a lot more in the years ahead as well.
And you can help make it happen!
Would you be willing to sponsor me for this excellent cause, in the faithful belief that I will make it past the start line and that I won’t pass out by the first rest stop? I’d like to ask you to think about an amount between $25 and $250 but of course you can give any amount you like.
In doing so you’ll be helping transform the lives of thousands of young Rwandans…and spurring me on to keep pedalling!
Thanks so much,
While fundraising you may have people who want to donate via cheque, cash, or credit card but don’t like using their card online. That is awesome. The last page of your Lake2Lake Rider Package has Pledge Forms on it. Simply get them to fill out the form, give you their donation, and then be sure to bring those donations to the ride with you.
Again, I am thankful and excited that you have chosen to ride in this year’s Lake2Lake Ride for Rwanda. I hope the above tips help you in your fundraising efforts for Wellspring.
Looking forward to seeing you at the ride!
PS: Post any additional fundraising tips, that you’d like to share with other riders, in the comments below.